Sometimes we stand in front of the mirror and notice some extra hair we don’t like. What should we do? The most typical response is plucking, shaving or waxing the area, but that’s not enough as hair grows back in no time. Is there any solution? Yes, you can get IPL treatment in Calgary today.
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. This skin treatment applies light on your skin to remove hair and prevent it from growing back so quickly. According to the FDA, you will notice “permanent hair reduction” after taking several IPL treatment sessions for better results. Do you want to know even more about this skincare? Keep on reading!
What IPL treatment does
To understand how IPL treatment works, we need to know how our hair grows. Our skin is complex and is the largest organ of our body. Let’s cover a few basic skin terms first:
- Epidermis – the outermost layer of our skin.
- Dermis – the mid-layer of our skin.
- Hair follicle – an organ found in our dermis which is responsible for hair growth.
- Sebaceous gland – provides oil for our hair, located in the dermis
- Dermis papillae – nourishes the hair follicle through blood vessels bringing nutrients and oxygen.
- Melanin – a natural pigment in our skin that absorbs light.
How does our hair grow?
- Hair begins growing from the follicle
- The dermis papillae feed the follicle through blood vessels; generating hair growth
- Since hair follicles are in the dermis, they get pushed up through the epidermis, and the sebaceous gland oils them.
- Our hair dies when it’s time.
Why do we lose hair?
Well, this is pretty normal. We lose about 50 to 100 hairs a day because not all our follicles grow hair simultaneously. They all have different schedules; some may grow for years and then stop. Therefore, we end up with active follicles (growing hair) and inactive ones (not growing hair).
IPL treatment step by step
Now it’s time to explain how IPL treatment at our salon works:
- One of our skincare specialists will use a handheld flashgun over the area you want your hair removed
- The flashgun will deliver a pulse of light that pierces the skin (through the epidermis) until it reaches the hair follicle in the dermis.
- Using filters to choose appropriate wavelengths of light, our skincare specialist will target your hair follicles.
- Remember that melanin absorbs light? Well, the hair follicle concentrates lots of melanin. That’s why the hair follicle heats as the melanin absorb light from the flashgun.
- As a result, the hair follicle is destroyed, and whatever it remains is reabsorbed by our body.
Simple right? No surgical or invasive interventions, just light. This skin treatment session can take around half an hour.
For better results, you might want to take from 6 to 12 sessions with some time between them to let your skin get ready for the next session. While IPL treatment can have great results, it’s most effective on dark hair visible against lighter skin.
Some IPL treatment benefits
Since IPL treatment uses light, does that mean it’s the same as laser treatments for hair removal? Not at all! It’s true both of them end up using light on the hair follicle, but IPL treatment uses a broader spectrum of light.
What does that mean? It means laser treatment focuses on one target at a time. In contrast, our skincare specialist can use a filter to focus on several targets at once. For this reason, IPL treatment takes less time than laser hair removal.
Using our skin treatment for hair removal and following our skincare specialists’ recommendations, we guarantee you great results: silky and smooth skin for a long time. It’s time to say goodbye to the plucking, shaving and waxing!
In short, these are many benefits of using our skin treatment for hair removal:
- It can attend several targets on your skin at once, saving you time.
- Keep your skin silky and smooth for the long term.
- We guarantee you permanent hair reduction by taking several IPL treatment sessions and following our technicians’ advice.
- No more plucking, shaving and waxing!
- Feel comfortable in our technicians’ hands and our expertise: our nail salon and spa has been serving Calgary for over 20 years now!
What can you expect from this skin treatment?
We can divide the whole process as follows:
- Before your IPL procedure. One of our specialists will examine you and your skin to decide how to proceed. Please let us know if you have a condition that prevents your skin from healing. We may ask you to avoid certain activities, medications and other products for two weeks before your procedure.
- While in it. During your treatment, you’ll need to wear dark glasses to protect your eyes. When the flashgun is on your skin, you may feel a subtle sting.
- When finished. The treated area of the skin may be red and sensitive for a few hours. For better healing results, you should avoid hot water on the treated skin.
Visit us today and enjoy our nail, spa and beauty services!